Monday, June 20, 2011

Its been a while.

We are truly enjoying living in Europe.  We are taking full advantage of all the places within a 3 hour radius of us.  It is amazing that in 3 hours we can be in France, Switzerland, Italy, and Austria.

In April we went to Amsterdam.  We saw the bulbs and we went to the famous Kukenhof Gardens. 
A M A Z I N G !!!!!!!!!!!


 
Amsterdam was lovely.  It was such a warm and inviting place to visit.  I would highly recommend traveling when the bulbs are in season if you have the opportunity.



In May we went to the Alsace region of France.  We have met a wonderful couple here that lived there for a few years.  So they were our personal guides to the countryside.  We saw many things and places while we were there.  We saw many of the beautiful towns, a castle, and we went to a wine tasting.  Dave and I are convinced that they do not ship any of the best wines to the states.  My answer to all of the 18 wines except for 2 were, "that is really good,  that is really good, oh man that is so good."
We went with several families on this trip.  We had a lot of fun and would love to go again.  So if you come over for a visit....we will take you there.


In June we went to Austria to hike the Alps.  We stayed at lovely hotel that was an all inclusive package.  We have a trip planned in July to go to Greece on a cruise.  While at the hotel the kids loved the food and the all you can eat part of it.  We told them that this place would like the period on the end of the sentence compared to the cruise.   Their eyes got really big and said they could not wait to go on the cruise...me too.

And then just for fun, I started an intense German class on May 15 that goes until June 30.  It is from 9am-1pm Monday thru Friday.  Its killin' me.....  I had very high expectations of this class that I would be able to speak a little German when I was done....um not going to happen.  I think I could take a course similiar to this every day for 6 months and I would still not be fluent.

My philological studies have satisfied me that a gifted person ought to learn English in 30 hours, French in 30 days, and German in 30 years. It seems manifest then, that the latter tongue ought to be trimmed down and repaired. If it is to remain as it is, it ought to be gently and reverently set aside among the dead languages, for only the dead have time to learn it.

-Mark Twain  1888



4 comments:

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze said...

Hi Cindy, ich glaube, ich muss dir in deutsch antworten, damit dein Kurs nicht umsonst ist! In Griechenland waren wir noch nie. Es soll aber sehr schön sein. Ich wünsche euch eine schöne Reise and have fun :)
xo Tina

cindygert said...

Danke Tina!!

Zandi said...

Finally... a new post! You know, that you have already seen more of Europe in that short time you are here, than I did in my whole life, don't you? We've spent several holidays in Greece. We enjoyed these very much. But I don't know who the actual political situation influences the tourist-centers. And concerning the German class: oh dear! It took me years to learn English... I do not agree with Mr. Twain...

Hugs,
Sandra

Marissa Q said...

Hi Cindy!
Thanks so much for the post. What a happy surprise when I gave this a quick check! The pictures are great and the boys are definitely growing. I'm so glad you are having a great time....and learning German too. I took four years in high school and all I remember is hi, bye and are you ready?!!! Just enjoy! Love you and yours.
Marissa